Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Dinner

We hosted Easter Dinner this year! it was because April 2nd was Sophia's due date and Dan and Darlene did not want to be too far from the hospital but, as it turns out she was born a week early so we got to celebrate Easter and Dan's birthday with her! What a happy surprise!

Sophia was so good - she spent most of the dinner sleeping and being cute!

The birthday boy!
I thought this was a good picture of dad.

Mmmmm Dinner was super tasty. I have to admit, I was initially a little bummed that we were restricted to fish for our dinner. I like fish well enough but it does not really feel special to me. Well, this dinner changed my mind. We had a really nice roasted salmon and my mom made ceviche which was excellent. Tia brought sweet potato and squash mash which I am informed had an entire stick of butter in them (just the way I like it) and adam and I made potatoes (two ways - roasted and a warm potato and herb salad), asparagus with home-made hollandaise and a fresh green salad with candied walnuts, goats cheese and pear. Even tia liked the salad despite her aversion to walnuts (helped that they were covered in sugar). Adam and I were a little worried that there might not be enough food but as you can see from the picture - that was not a problem.

Dessert - so much dessert! Adam made a lemon tart. It was a really simple recipe - mostly cream, lemon juice, eggs and sugar. We actually calculated that the meal took about a dozen and a half eggs and over 20 lemons to make the whole dinner. The tart came out nicely and with the extra egg whites we made meringues. Margaret helped make the first batch which came out looking like little ice cream tops - mine didn't look as cute but were still tasty. I was worried that we might not have enough so we made an extra batch of meringues the morning of and I also asked my mom and dad to bring sweet bread and strawberries. It also turns out that tia brought a mango mousse cake that was meant for Dan and Darlene's birthday but they could not eat it so they brought it over for Easter dinner! Everyone knows you can't have too much dessert so I would consider the dinner a success!

2 comments:

  1. Nice pics! Looks like good times were had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Easter Nat. Edy - your presence was missed!

    ReplyDelete